Join us as we continue to grow and redefine Internet in rural communities.
At Wilkes Communications, you’ll find associates united by a single purpose: to provide excellence in customer service and add value to the lives of our customers and the communities we serve.
Network Engineer Job Posting
Anyone wishing to apply should e-mail your name and qualifications to:
POSITION TITLE: Network Engineer
DEPARTMENTS: Network Operations/CO
REPORTS TO: Network Operations Manager
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This is a full-time Bargaining Unit position responsible for Wilkes Communications’ and RiverStreet Networks’ IP/Ethernet networks and the operational support of the Network Operations Center. The equipment and services to be supported and engineered will typically include Ethernet and IP networks, core network elements, Internet connected infrastructure, interconnected nodes, network servers for Wilkes Communications/RiverStreet Networks and its customers, and other associated devices including routers, switches, and firewalls from multiple vendors and platforms. Within these guidelines, the successful candidate will assist in engineering, designing, and supporting Network Operations projects, upgrades, and troubles and report results to the Network Operations Manager. Interdepartmental relationships are required for trouble resolution with all departments including Network Services, Network Support, Business Systems, Engineering, Sales, and Customer Service. The Network Engineer will design, implement, and scale solutions to monitor network elements and their status. The successful candidate will also maintain backups and detailed plans and diagrams for Network Operations equipment. Other purposes include installation and analysis of diagnostic software/hardware to maintain or troubleshoot and repair network-related issues.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This job will be an integral part of Network Operations and will focus on designing, implementing, maintaining, and upgrading all aspects of the core, access, and distribution networks and the associated equipment.
- ISP-related duties will include IPv4/v6 management, eBGP and iBGP configuration, and operational management.
- Web hosting-related responsibilities will include domain registration, web design, site maintenance, and consultation with customers.
- Maintenance, upgrades, and backups of critical data services housed on Network Operations servers.
- Network Management System(s) installation, upgrades, and maintenance.
- Network Design Documentation (updates and keeping current).
- Assist in implementing Disaster Recovery Plan and Business Continuity Plan.
- Maintain a working and competent knowledge of other technologies used in the CO/Network Operations department and be able to assist or escalate as needed.
- Maintenance and upgrades of interoffice and intercompany fiber, Ethernet, and transmission equipment.
- Engineering and design of network equipment with a focus on maximizing up-time while providing redundancy.
- Installation and maintenance of special access broadband circuits (Metro-E, WDM, etc.)
- Installation and maintenance of equipment unfamiliar to the employee while working in tandem with vendors to complete installs while gaining knowledge and insight to the product and services.
- Required to use PCs or computer-assisted devices after normal working hours for routine and emergency procedures.
- Maintenance of accurate records of network-related equipment and services.
- Assist with annual inventory of network-related equipment.
- Attend workshops, seminars, and training as requested by Network Operations Manager.
- Coordinate with other personnel for testing and maintenance and may request assistance as needed.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, & TRAINING:
- Candidate must hold a CCNA or obtain a CCNA within 1 year or agreed upon time between candidate and Management.
- Equivalent network certifications will be considered as substitutes to satisfy the requirement.
- At least 5 years of experience in a hands-on, technical or telecommunications-related field is required.
- Knowledge in network protocols including iBGP, eBGP, OSPF, DHCP, TCP/IP, and DNS is required.
- Proficiency in Carrier Ethernet and WDM is preferred.
- Proficiency in configuring and supporting network operating systems including Linux distributions and Windows Server is required.
- Database administration experience is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s Degree, Associate’s Degree, or accredited college credits in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Network Technology is preferred.
- SAN and NAS experience is preferred.
- Must have a working knowledge of or promptly acquire proficiency in:
(a) Telephone Switching-Softswitch and Legacy.
(b) Power systems (AC and DC) and their operations.
(c) Digital Data and Analog Data Communications.
(d) Fiber Concentrators and DSLAMs.
(e) Fiber ONTs/NIDs.
(f) T1 and Special Service Equipment installation and maintenance.
(g) IPTV Equipment and Services.
(h) ATM and SONET Technologies.
(i) SS7 and STP Technology.
- Requires proficiency in PC literacy and software including: spreadsheets, word processors, packet capture and analysis tools, and other computer applications as required by the job.
- Employee must use electronic and computer-related test equipment required in the installation and testing of Network Operations-related devices.
- Must operate company vehicles; therefore, must have a valid driver’s license. (Personal driving insurability may affect employment.)
- Use of various tools and other work equipment as required.
- Must be physically able to perform tasks assigned with regard to mechanical work (handle and climb ladders, work from ladders, handle heavy equipment, etc.)
- Must have the ability to plan work and work without direct supervision.
- Physically capable of performing heavy lifting, up to 100 pounds, is often required.
- Pulling, stretching, and bending are required.
- When technical assistance is needed, employee may need to contact vendor, manufacturer, other telcos, and/or employees with more experience.
- Follow company policies and procedures.
- Unsafe conditions may be found performing work duties. Employee must proceed with caution, handling work in accord with safety practices. Employee is encouraged to call supervisor for advice.
- Safety Practices must be understood and observed.
- Employee is subject to being on-call and call-outs at all times, including nights, weekends, and holidays for service restoration.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
The work described includes the overall function of the job, but is not considered a detailed description of each individual duty of the employee.
This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Job posting closes on December 16, 2021
Wilkes Communications is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, veteran status, disability, age, marital status, familial status, genetic information membership or activity in local human rights commission, or status with regard to public assistance, or other status protected by local or national law. Wilkes Communications will not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment practices including, but not limited to, the following: hiring, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, selection, layoff, disciplinary action, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, and selection for training, including apprenticeship. Wilkes Communications provides reasonable accommodation to applicants and employees with disabilities.